Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Guide books to Paris, what to book before

I have two questions.



First is which is the best guide book to Paris. I have seen a Lonely Planet book and an Old Michlien book.





The other question is well it%26#39;s actully an observation correct me if i am wrong.



From what i have read it seems that one doesn%26#39;t really need to book anything a head for Paris.



Some kind soul gave me an email address for the Forfait Loisirs Chateau De Versailles. I down printed out the info but i didn%26#39;t see any place where you could purchase your tickets a head of time.



I see it says that you go to the Transilien station in zone to 6 to purchase your tickets. Does anyone know do you must buy them the day you are planning on using them or can you purchase them the day before you are planning on attending Versaillies?





I also read that it is best not to by museam passes because you will not get your money out of the passes. Just to go to the individual museams and wait in line. But wouldn%26#39;t purchasing the pass a head of time help you to avoid long line ups?





Just trying to get a few things clear.



I guess everyone has their own way of doing things.





rickaman




|||



Hi





For what it is worth I found the Lonley Planet really useful - used it couple of years ago when I was there the first tome by myself and would have been lost without it.





I have never booked anything before I go except purcahsing a metro card prior to arriving so I was not struggling with the language when I goit there and was up and running as soon as my feet hit paris soil !







Have also never really had to line up as I get there pretty early in the morning before they open and wait 20 mins or so - am usually first or second in the queue - the one time I did wait in line was for the Lourve and it moved pretty quickly - took the time to people watch so didn%26#39;t really mind queuing




|||



I think that the usefulness of the museum pass depends on how many museums you%26#39;ll be interested in seeing. I don%26#39;t buy one for every trip, but some trips are scheduled for specific exhibits, and I tend to visit more museums on those.





It also depends on when you%26#39;re travelling. In the very high seasons, I think it%26#39;s very useful to be able to jump the queue. Holiday time is very special and expensive, and I%26#39;d rather save the time than the few euros the pass costs.




|||



We got back from 2 weeks in Paris last Thursday. We found Rick Steeves%26#39; Paris 2007, The Unofficial Guide to Paris by David Applefield and Frommer%26#39;s Memorable Walks in Paris were the best for us. We also used a Paris map put out by Bosch to be fantastic. Large, waterproof, all metro lines and stations on it and you can write on it with non-permanent markers.





We bought the 4-day Museum pass and found it useful. We did about 7 museums in the 4 days and saved money over paying individually, not to mention the line cutting in some places and in-and-out privileges.





Mind you, although we got to Versailles relatively early in the day (9:15 am), the Pass line was still reasonably long. The reason for it was the slowness of the security line.





hope this helps.




|||



Personnally I find the Time Out guide to be far ahead from the competition, it is absolutely accurate, clear, and covers all the different kinds of %26quot;Paris%26quot;es a tourist might want to discover. The Rough guide would come as a second best, especially their translation of the Guide du Routard. Rick Steves%26#39; guide is full of mistakes, lazy, self-complacent, and aimed at a very traditional middle-aged, middle-class, mid-American readership who %26quot;does%26quot; France the way one used to %26quot;do%26quot; it in the 70s. Definitely the best book if you want to spend most of your French vacation surroundered by Americans.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 03, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment