Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Buying Museum Pass??

I have read several threads on buying tickets before you leave and once you get there.. Som also said that they bought tickets and had them delivered to their hotel for the next day? We will want t 3-day pass and I am wondering if it was be just as easy to wait until we get there to buy the pass.. If so, where do you buy the pass??



Thanks,



paula






|||



You can%26#39;t buy a 3 day pass. They come in 2-4-6 day packages.





Grab one from any museum - preferably one that doesn%26#39;t draw the crowds. I bought mine at the Cluny. It%26#39;s well worth the investment - even if you don%26#39;t go to all the museums. Not having to wait in line at the Louvre and the D%26#39;Orsay saved literally hours of time!





Plus you%26#39;ll find yourself exploring smaller museums that you might not have visited otherwise.




|||



Don%26#39;t buy ahead, waste of money( they always seem to cost more, to cover costs like delivery etc). It%26#39;s not like they ever %26quot; run out of them%26quot; LOL



They can easily be purchased once you arrive. Many people just go to the closest attraction listed on pass that has small lines. You have not mentioned wthere you are staying so can%26#39;t help with that.



You can also get them at FNAC stores I believe . I have never used one so I not a hundred % sure of that one.



Are you sure you want a pass,, they are only worth it if you plan on visiting at least three or four sites a day, there main value is line jumping ... but many places have very little lines,, it is just the %26quot;big%26quot; two (Louvre and Orsay) that regularily have lines. The lines at the Lourve are easy to avoid by using the entrance from the underground shopping mall assessed off Rue Du Rivoli or Metro.




|||



We bought one when we got there. It was very easy, we just went to the Arc de Triumphe and purchased it. There was no line to anything. This was a couple of weeks ago. We found that most of the museums and monuments that we went to did not have lines, with the exception of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. It is very easy to purchase, have a great time!




|||



We got our 4-day pass at the Paris Tourist office.




|||



Is the museum pass worth it if you only visit the majr attractions?




|||



SarahandMIke,



I think the value in the museum pass is time, I do not think there is value in it money wise unless you really contemplate moving through 4 to 5 sites a day.



Time is precious of course, but, to be fair,, most sites do not have unreasonable lines, in fact , many sites have little or no lines, depending on time of day, and what exactly they are.



Worst line offenders are Eiffel Tower, there is very little one can do to avoid a line here, unless you arrive BEFORE opening a wait awhile, or line up to take stairs, which I have done, still a wait, but much less then elevator line. The pass does NOT give one line jumping rights at the Tower. So, that is a bummer.



The Lourve. Long lines here are fairly easy to avoid,, do not enter through the main entrance under the Pyramide. By entering through the underground mall one can avoid most line ups( there is always a security line) Go first thing. Buy ticket from machines.



Pass does give you line jumping here.



Orsay,, this seems to be one where the only way to avoid long lines is either a wait in line before opening, or using the Pass.





I must say I consider the admission fees really cheap in Paris. I live in Canada, and our local museam costs 17 dollars to enter( that is more then the Lourve I believe) and now with a Titanic exhibit on ,, they are charging 25 dollars.. The most I paid in Paris was 9 or 10 euros,, I was so impressed with what I could see.



In London I remember choking on the admission price of the London Tower, I seem to remember it being like 30 dollars or more!!!! Made up for free Briish Museum ,, lOL




|||



I agree don%26#39;t buy the pass ahead of time.





Go to a short lined museum such as the Clluny or Pantheon etc to buy the pass.





I bought them once and enjoyed being able to go in and out as many times as I wanted and also used some of the museums as Bathroom pit stops.





I love the fact that you can avoid the relly long lines with the MP!




|||



The 2006 Rick Steves book said you can get it from the Metro. Is this still true?




|||



I really did not think the museum pass was worth it except if did offer a slight conveneince at the few major locations. Unless you want to go to 2 museums a day for several days in a row you will not get much savings. If I went again I would just pay as I go to enjoy the added freedom of not thinking you have to use the pass everyday.




|||



I think it%26#39;s good to calculate if it will save you money. For me, I%26#39;d like to go beyond the Louvre and Orsay, and check out Orangerie and Rodin in addition to others. I may even go to a chateau that%26#39;s covered by the pass. I think for me, since I%26#39;m a museum freak and trying to cram in as much as possible it would be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment